Health Policy Intern (Unpaid)
Community Service Society, Health Initiatives Department
CSS has played a lead role in paving the way for health care reform in New York State through its participation with Health Care For All New York (HCFANY), a state-wide coalition of more than 170 partner agencies. HCFANY members advocate and organize for quality, affordable health care across the State. Find out more at www.hcfany.org.
She/he will play an active role in supporting HCFANY, and will learn about and support all aspects of the policy process, including performing policy research and analysis, developing policy briefs, organizing, and conducting administrative and legislative advocacy. She/he will also support the coalition’s communications strategy, which includes a website, blog, and social media.
This internship provides a hands-on opportunity to participate in advocacy that will directly affect implementation of the Affordable Care Act and other policy initiatives that improve access to quality, affordable public and private health insurance in New York State. The Health Policy Intern will be a key part of the Health Initiatives team and directly engage in health policy work. She/he will work under the Senior Health Policy Associate and with the Vice President of Health Initiatives, the Deputy Director, and other Health Initiatives staff.
- Conduct research on New York State health policy, including tracking key policy issues and reviewing legislation;
- Assist in preparing policy and/or advocacy materials;
- Analyze data and prepare summaries and briefs;
- Prepare strategies and content for various social media platforms, draft blog posts;
- Support planning and implementation of public forums and conferences, including legislative advocacy days;
- Other activities and duties as may be required.
- Graduate student with interest in and knowledge of health policy, health care reform, and strong commitment to serving low-income populations;
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills;
- Ability to multitask while maintaining strong attention to detail;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Experience using Microsoft Office software, including: Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Experience with blogging and social media, including Wordpress, Facebook, and Twitter a plus;
- Time limited with an average of 10-15 hours per week
Submit resume, brief cover letter and two writing samples to:
Community Service Society of New York – HPI-1
Human Resources Department
633 Third Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10017